[yocto] Kernel config fragments ignored

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue May 30 18:15:48 PDT 2017

> From: Paul D. DeRocco
>
> I ported a working build from Fido to Morty, made a few
> tweaks in response
> to error messages (mostly updating version numbers), but it's
> not finding
> my kernel configuration fragments. This is supposed to be an i386 arch
> system, but it insists upon building an x86_64 kernel. The
> .config file it
> generates does not include my configuration fragments, which contain
> things like CONFIG_64BIT=n and CONFIG_X86_32=y.

I'm still stumped by this, but I've debugged it further. My top level
chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc file contains (among other things) the line

    include ktypes/preempt-rt/preempt-rt.scc nopatch

Building the kernel copies the following files into
tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah

    chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
    chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)

but it doesn't copy the following files anywhere

    chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
    chroma32-bsp.scc
    chroma32-bsp.cfg

so none of the values from either .cfg file appear in the resulting
.config file.

If I change the above line to

    include ktypes/standard/standard.scc nopatch

then tmp/work/chroma32_bsp-poky-linux/linux-yocto-rt/4.8.12+blahblah
contains

    chroma32-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
    chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg
    chroma32-bsp-user-features.scc (empty)

and
tmp/work-shared/chroma32-bsp/kernel-source/.kernel-meta/configs/standard
contains

    chroma32-bsp.cfg
    chroma32-bsp-user-config.cfg

and everything in them is included in the .config file.

Both the preempt-rt.scc and standard.scc files pull in a lot of stuff, and
they are quite different from each other. What difference between the two
could account for my config fragments being ignored when I use the first
one?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com