[yocto] webkitgtk2 progress bar

Alexander Kanavin alexander.kanavin at linux.intel.com
Wed May 24 09:43:04 PDT 2017

On 05/24/2017 05:23 PM, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Now [tongue-in-cheek], can someone do something about the horrendous
> build times for such packages (webkitgtk2 can take up to 3 hours on
> my [no so slow] build host!)?

In order of decreasing tongue in cheekiness.

1. Rewrite webkit in something that is not C++ - by far the most awful
language when it comes to compile times.

2. Use icecc.bbclass to 'borrow' computing power from colleagues
(untested, unproven).

3. Invest into a serious CPU. I have 22 cores here, and it is not a
luxury, but an absolute necessity to get anything done as far as oe-core
maintenance goes. Webkit's do_compile takes about half an hour - I can
almost see that progress bar move :)

Alex