[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] Stable branch plans

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon May 8 05:22:09 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 4:36 AM, Paul Barker <pbarker at toganlabs.com> wrote:
> On 3 May 2017 2:41 a.m., "Khem Raj" <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:19 AM, Paul Barker <pbarker at toganlabs.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to propose the following for the pyro branch:
>>
>> * We should create the pyro branch within a week or two of the oe-core
>> pyro release.
>
> What do we get by branching early  ?
>

> I'd like to be able to say to users that all layers should be on the same
> branch, it's confusing if some need to be on pyro and others on master. It
> also makes our release much easier as we can point our scripts at the pyro
> branch early and not have to worry about future breakage.
>
> I don't mind as much if pyro tracks master for the first few weeks until
> things settle down, but I think it's really beneficial to have a pyro branch
> in each layer from around the time of the oe-core release.

+1

Initially we'll have to use meta-raspberrypi master to build with
pyro. But eventually one commit will come along that breaks. Then
we'll have to wait for someone to create the pyro branch then change
our builds. It would be easier if everything is on, and stays on, pyro
from the start.

Also, if, in the future, we wanted to go back in time to recreate an
early build, someone will have to remember that before a certain date
you'll need to use meta-raspberrypi master with oe-core pyro. Or if in
a year from now you wanted to checkout the repositories from June of
this year, it'll be confusing why meta-raspberrypi didn't have a pyro
branch by that point.