[yocto] Bumping all packages versions

Matthew Stanger matthew_stanger at trimble.com
Mon Mar 20 08:52:57 PDT 2017

Hi,

I'm running Yocto 1.7.1 and was wondering if there was a simple way to
roll/bump all package versions. For example in every .bb I want to bump PV
= $version higher. I'm trying to do this as we've designed our headless
system to update using opkg but now we are struggling to find a simple way
to update package versions, we're trying to stay away from manually doing
it as there is a lot of room for error when touching so many packages.
First, is there a way to brute force bump all package versions and 2nd is
there a way to only bump packages that have changed code (like auto git
hash diff or something) without manually bumping the PV version in the .bb?
What is the proper way to handle you distro's versioning at the package
level?

Thanks,
Matt