[yocto] BBMASK not working for me?

chris warth cswarth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 21:29:49 PST 2017

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
> wrote:

> On Thursday, 2 March 2017 2:14:13 PM NZDT chris warth wrote:
> > <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> September/032033.html
> > >
> > > That sounds strange. Did you use bitbake -e | less to see where your
> non-
> > > forcevariable setting was being overridden? More than likely you have a
> > > layer or some other configuration you're bringing in and that's simply
> > > setting it with = at some point later in parsing than local.conf. The
> > > history of the BBMASK variable shown through bitbake -e will tell you
> > > exactly where that is.
> >
> > Thank you, Paul.  I didn't know about bitbake -e.
> > As you predicted, it shows that an earlier layer is setting BBMASK
> > with equals, in this case the
> > meta-freescale layer.
> >
> > BBMASK=".*openjre|.*openjdk"
> >
> > Should I be mad at the vendor for being careless?
>
> Personally I think you should, yes. BSP layers really should not be setting
> BBMASK, IMO. Interestingly though I can't see this BBMASK in meta-fsl-arm /
> meta-fsl-ppc either in current master or in the history for master - where
> is
> this exactly?

FWIW, This is in a SDK for the LS1046A development board supplied by NXP as
a couple of ISO images and a tarball in late 2016.    For the most part it
seems to be based on publicly accessible sources although the ls1046a-rdb
support comes from cached copies of internal NXP git repos (e.g.
sw-stash.freescale.net/scm/dnnpi).

Here is the bitbake -e output showing BBMASK

# $BBMASK [2 operations]
#   set
/mnt/nxp-sdk/sources/meta-freescale/conf/machine/include/qoriq-arm64.inc:9
#     ".*openjre|.*openjdk"
#   set /mnt/nxp-sdk/sources/poky/meta/conf/documentation.conf:95
#     [doc] "Prevents BitBake from processing specific recipes or recipe
append files. Use the BBMASK variable from within conf/local.conf."
# pre-expansion value:
#   ".*openjre|.*openjdk"
BBMASK=".*openjre|.*openjdk"

 Thanks again for helping me to understand this stuff.

- Chris