[yocto] Using A Proprietary Closed License Inside A Layer & Its Recipes

Thomas Thorne Thomas.Thorne at net2edge.com
Mon Jun 19 09:33:26 PDT 2017

> > FWIW: We created a proprietary license file called files/common-
> > licenses/company.txt in our proprietary layer, then added the
> > following to layer.conf:
> >
> >  COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES := '${@os.path.normpath("${LAYERDIR}/files
> > /com
> > mon-licenses")}'
> >  BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST_append = " COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES"
> >
> > Then a recipe can get the "standard" proprietary license by doing:
> >
> >  LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
> > "file://${COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES}/company.txt;md5=9b1139fa1fcb8690
> > 69db
> > eecca44350a5"
> >
> > It works pretty well and also make it clear what license the recipe
> > is under. I believe that the BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST was necessary at
> > the time to prevent changes in the project working path from causing
> > a full rebuild of the all proprietary packages and so that the
> > sstate signatures would match regardless, but I might be wrong about
> > it being necessary.

Thank you.  Adding the COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES and BB_HASHTABLE_WHITELIST_append worked great for me.

> is this still the case with latest master ?

I also tried commenting the "BB_HASHTABLE_WHITELIST_append = "COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES"" line in the layer.conf file and it all worked fine still without any warnings besides the one for using Ubuntu 16.04.