[yocto] Using A Proprietary Closed License Inside A Layer & Its Recipes

Joshua Watt jpewhacker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 11:11:06 PDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-06-16 at 11:00 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> > > directory?

> > > that for your internal pieces?  It's special-cased in a few
> > > places.
> > >
> > > I can use CLOSED.  I just wanted to ensure I was following the
> > > recommended or best practice.
> > >
> > > As this is an internal thing it should be OK for now.  I was
> > > wondering what would happen if a closed licenses was updated, as
> > > nothing would currently note the md5 change.
> >
> > FWIW: We created a proprietary license file called files/common-
> > licenses/company.txt in our proprietary layer, then added the
> > following
> > to layer.conf:
> >
> >  COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES := '${@os.path.normpath("${LAYERDIR}/files
> > /com
> > mon-licenses")}'
> >  BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST_append = " COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES"
> >
> > Then a recipe can get the "standard" proprietary license by doing:
> >
> >  LIC_FILES_CHKSUM =
> > "file://${COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES}/company.txt;md5=9b1139fa1fcb8690
> > 69db
> > eecca44350a5"
> >
> > It works pretty well and also make it clear what license the recipe
> > is
> > under. I believe that the BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST was necessary at
> > the
> > time to prevent changes in the project working path from causing a
> > full
> > rebuild of the all proprietary packages and so that the sstate
> > signatures would match regardless, but I might be wrong about it
> > being
> > necessary.
>
> is this still the case with latest master ?

I don't actually know, and I don't think I should hazard a guess. We
made this change all the way back in 1.6 (which was embarrassingly
recent for us) and I haven't bother to check (mostly because I forgot
about it until now).

Also as an aside, I think someone would probably tell me to use
BB_HASHBASE_WHITELIST += "COMPANY_COMMON_LICENSES" these days instead
of _append. When I was younger I had trouble knowing when to use one or
the other ;)