[yocto] new machine on mips32 r5

Dinara Vadimovna dinara.vv at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 04:09:26 PDT 2017

Hi,

Actually I'm quite a beginner with Yocto project. And in general with all
of this story of processors and processor architecture.
In my studying project I have to build Linux for a hardware on processor
P5600 MIPS
<https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_(%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%85%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0)>32
Release 5. And I am recently trying to do it. I have some questions that
can be quite general but I can not understand.

1) As I could found in openembedded git there is a meta layer meta-image
that has some of the include files for mips architecture. But only for
mips32/64 r2/r6 et not for my processor exacltly something like
*tune-mips32r2.inc*. And I can't understand what exactly I should do.
Does it mean that I have to create one other .inc-file for this processor
or not? is it generally the same as for other mips processors? If you can
advise me something it will be greate. what exactly I have to do?

2) As I've catched for my machine I have two ways to create an image
- create a new bsp layer using *yocto-bsp* command (in the properties I
have to chose those for my machine.), add it to bblayers before build,
chose MACHINE ?= "mymachine" in local.conf. And that is all

- make my own machine.conf file with the specifications for my machine and
chose MACHINE ?= "mymachine" in local.conf (which I think yocto-bsp do
itself).

I don't understand where I specificate that it is on P5600 MIPS
<https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_(%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%85%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82%D1%83%D1%80%D0%B0)>32
Release 5 processor. Do I have to do it and if so how exactly?

Also do I have to change kernel properties or anything else?

3) one question off topic:
Can I run any image (whatever it is fir harware or simulation) with qemu
emulator or not?

Thanks a lot

And have a nice day!

Dinara