[yocto] Openssh patch being overriden by original unpatched file

Jack Kiefer jack.c.kiefer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 10:48:32 PDT 2017

Howdy all,

I've been having a bit of an interesting time trying to ship a modified
sshd_config file to my images using Yocto Morty. I first tried adding a
.bbappend to the openssh recipe in which I prepended a patch file that
would modify sshd_config to my liking. Interestingly, Yocto would
definitely run do_patch and presumably patch the file successfully (I
ensured the patch was correct by manually using the patch command), but
somehow the patched file was still overridden by the original file in the
final version of the image.

I've been able to temporarily remedy this by using the .bbappend to simply
use an entire modified sshd_config file from its FILES directory rather
than applying a patch.

Is this how Yocto is supposed to behave? Is there a more correct way of
providing fairly version-agnostic modifications to config files like this?

Thanks!
Jack