[yocto] Changing over to systemd (no dhcp)

Maciej Borzęcki maciej.borzecki at rndity.com
Mon Jan 23 03:19:16 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Mike Looijmans
<mike.looijmans at topic.nl> wrote:
> On 20-01-17 14:59, colin.helliwell at ln-systems.com wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for all the pointers everyone. I’ve now got (in my distro conf):
>>
>> DISTRO_FEATURES_append = " systemd"
>>
>> DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = " sysvinit"
>>
>> VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_init_manager = "systemd"
>>
>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "systemd"
>>
>> PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-systemd = " resolved networkd"
>

> Thanks for the tip, I was also wondering why network didn't work with
> systemd.
>
> Is there a reason why this has been disabled by default? It's strange to
> have a system without network as the default setup.
>
> I would at least have expected network support to be enabled for any machine
> that has some networking features.

Pick an choose, most features are opt-in to avoid bloating the final image.

Some people are not interested in networkd and prefer to use connman,
NetworkManager or other tool.
Note that networkd is not wifi aware, but does observe interface state
changes. For wifi you'll need wpa_supplicant to actually drive the
process of joining networks, while networkd will handle DHCP part.

resolved is not enabled by default either. Even when enabled, it's not
really useful without the nss-resolved piece. I've posted a patch to
OE-core [1] that would set up /etc/nsswitch.conf properly but I wasn't
merged.

[1]. http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2016-September/126738.html

--
Maciej Borzecki