[yocto] x86 testing

Jussi Kukkonen jussi.kukkonen at intel.com
Wed Jan 18 01:20:59 PST 2017

On 18 January 2017 at 09:02, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to track down some recent changes in the X server
> (using the latest Poky/Yocto master).  I've had failures on
> a number of the embedded targets I work with, so I thought
> I'd give it a go on platforms with a larger base - x86 machines.

> It used to be that I could run qemu and it would pop up a separate
> window that emulated a display+keyboard+mouse.  That doesn't seem
> to be the same now, or at least I don't see how to make it work.

This is lacking a bit of detail ... What did you try and what failed?

Building a qemux86-64  (or qemux86) image and running it should certainly
work ("runqemu qemux86-64").

Advice on this would be great as I need to test the "native" X
> setup, not VNC connections.
>
> I'd also be happy to try this on real hardware, e.g. my wife's
> laptop, but I need some way to do that non-destructively.  Again,
> pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The hddimg is both an installer and a live image: in other words if you
build e.g. a x86-64 core-image-sato you can dd it to a USB disk and boot a
typical laptop from USB without installing anything on hard drive.

Jussi