[yocto] x86 testing

Patrick Ohly patrick.ohly at intel.com
Wed Jan 18 01:19:14 PST 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-18 at 08:02 +0100, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I'm trying to track down some recent changes in the X server
> (using the latest Poky/Yocto master).  I've had failures on
> a number of the embedded targets I work with, so I thought
> I'd give it a go on platforms with a larger base - x86 machines.
>
> It used to be that I could run qemu and it would pop up a separate
> window that emulated a display+keyboard+mouse.  That doesn't seem
> to be the same now, or at least I don't see how to make it work.

qemu-native was changed to not depend on SDL. Instead of opening its own
window, it now provides access via VNC.

If you want the old behavior back, you need to compile with (from Poky's
local.conf.sample):

# By default qemu will build with a builtin VNC server where graphical output can be
# seen. The two lines below enable the SDL backend too. By default libsdl-native will
# be built, if you want to use your host's libSDL instead of the minimal libsdl built
# by libsdl-native then uncomment the ASSUME_PROVIDED line below.
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-qemu-native = " sdl"
PACKAGECONFIG_append_pn-nativesdk-qemu = " sdl"
#ASSUME_PROVIDED += "libsdl-native"

> Advice on this would be great as I need to test the "native" X
> setup, not VNC connections.

For the guest OS it shouldn't make a difference whether qemu uses its
own window or VNC.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.