[yocto] Yocto SDK: how to deploy application with step "make install" to target?

Eric Schwarz eas at sw-optimization.com
Fri Dec 1 07:37:34 PST 2017

Am 01.12.2017 16:15, schrieb Jerry Lian:

> Thanks Eric for your explanation!
> * (I know I can build the app within yocto build, but sometimes I
> prefer the SDK method outside yocto build.)
>
> * So just copy manually? I thought there are some tricks  that I don't
> know.

Acutally that's how we are doing it ...

> Now I have follow-up question:
> * It seems that "make install" will copy different files to different
> folders
> * Can I do like these:?
> --- make
> --- copy (via scp)
> --- make install
> * Or it needs to be:
> --- make
> --- make install

Install the cross-compiled stuff on your local disc e.g. into a
"transfer" directory. Then copy it to the target.
On the target 'cp -Rfa <transfer-dir>/* /' should do it if the basic
directory structure fits to your rootFS.

> --- copy (via scp) -----then how do I know: what files to go which
> folder?
> --- can you explain:
> "... you may supply a custom install prefix directory to configure."
> --- how?

There is IMHO no standardized variable available. Just look into the
configure script how the variable is named and if it is actually
available at all.