[yocto] [RFC][meta-gplv2] layer priority and worth creating branch compatible with morty?

Andre McCurdy armccurdy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 14:19:21 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) layer priority, currently it has:
>        BBFILE_PRIORITY_gplv2 = "1"
>    which is lower than oe-core with:
>        BBFILE_PRIORITY_core = "5"
>    so in order to use recipes from meta-gplv2 layer, user has to add
>    couple PREFERRED_VERSIONS. Was this intended use for meta-gplv2?

I guess the intention is that if you blacklist GPLv3 etc then only the
recipes in meta-gplv2 will be considered.

>    I can see some advantages of this (that the layer can be included
>    without immediate side effects), but on the other hand why would
>    anyone include this layer if he isn't deeply scared from (L)GPLv3
>    versions sneaking into the build?
>    In our local builds I'm bumping the priority to 6 to resolve this.

If any of the recipes in meta-gplv2 still contain BBCLASSEXTEND =
"native" then that could cause problems (generally you only want to
use the older recipes for the target, not for -native).