[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] gles2 on raspi3

Herve Jourdain herve.jourdain at neuf.fr
Thu Apr 20 04:56:27 PDT 2017

Hi Trevor,

I agree with you that VC4 is easier to work with - and can be patched if there are issues.
But normally you lose the H.264 and MPEG2 HW decoders, and a bunch of audio codecs, provided by the userland/omx.
Depending on what you're doing, you may or may not notice the difference. But I'm not sure how well you can handle 1080p30 or 1080p60 in H.264 using only ffmpeg - if you're using chromium, that's what you should be using I guess.
My personal preference would be to use VC4, and that's what I do most of the time, but there is still a limitation for the moment, that I just wanted to point out.
And that's why I think we can't do only VC4, and probably have to keep userland a while longer.

Cheers,
Herve