[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] gles2 on raspi3

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 00:13:21 PDT 2017

On Thu 2017-04-20 @ 05:41:44 AM, Herve Jourdain wrote:
> Yes, VC4 indeed works for both 32bits and 64bits. It was first introduced  .
> for 32bits, actually Regarding why still using userland: at this point in  .
> time, we have accelerated HW codec (H.264, MPEG2, some audio) only if using.
> userland If one doesn't need that, then VC4 is, in my opinion, the way to  .
> go. Otherwise, userland still needs to be used                             .

What decoder is needed to play youtube videos?

Using Andreas' meta-raspi-light (which removes userland and only uses vc4)
I've spent the last hour or so watching youtube videos from my raspberrypi3
(32-bit build) in chromium, accelerated, with sound (both via the HDMI and the
jack), both on the big monitor and the 7" waveshare touchscreen. Not to
mention I can now run openGL and GLESx apps accelerated.

I wasn't able to do that with userland. In fact, it was quite a struggle just
to get it to build!

Maybe I did something wrong with userland, but vc4 is successful, and
certainly easier to work with.