[yocto] opkg behavior

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Apr 11 06:03:30 PDT 2017

I'm using opkg (IPK) packaging with my Yocto builds (using recent
master 633ad6c9f).  For the most part, this seems to work well,
but occasionally I'll rebuild a recipe along with the packaging
indexes on my build machine only to find that opkg doesn't want
to upgrade to the changes.  Here's an example:

* Update the package databases on the target board
   root at teton-p7621:~# opkg update
   Downloading http://192.168.1.12/teton-p7621-feeds/all/Packages.gz.
   Updated source 'poky_am-all'.
   Downloading http://192.168.1.12/teton-p7621-feeds/cortexa7hf-neon/Packages.gz.
   Updated source 'poky_am-cortexa7hf-neon'.
   Downloading http://192.168.1.12/teton-p7621-feeds/teton_p7621/Packages.gz.
   Updated source 'poky_am-teton_p7621'.

* Try to update the package I just rebuilt.  Normally, this does the right thing
   root at teton-p7621:~# opkg install production-tests
   No packages installed or removed.

* Odd, check the packaging
   root at teton-p7621:~# opkg list-installed | grep prod
   production-tests - 1.0-r0.74

* Force the install by removing the existing package, etc
   root at teton-p7621:~# opkg remove production-tests
   Removing production-tests (1.0) from root...
   root at teton-p7621:~# opkg install production-tests
   Installing production-tests (1.0) on root
   Downloading http://192.168.1.12/teton-p7621-feeds/teton_p7621/production-tests_1.0-r0.76_teton_p7621.ipk.
   Configuring production-tests.

So from this you can see that the package has been rebuilt (using
the PR server) and that I can indeed install the new version.  That
said, why did opkg not "upgrade" as expected.  Note: I often use
the 'opkg upgrade' command but I recently updated my Poky/Yocto
repository which caused nearly every package to be rebuilt and I
didn't want to have to download everything (none of which affected
my current program which is just a python script), so I chose the
'opkg install ...' method instead, which does seem to work sometimes.

Any ideas what I can look at or tweak to get this to work the way
I expect?

Thanks