[yocto] Install rootfs.tar.bz2 to ${D}/home/root/

Fabien Lahoudere fabien.lahoudere at collabora.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 05:16:20 PDT 2017

On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 11:21 +0000, Maier, Chris wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to create a deployable SD card image. My board (beaglebone based) boots from SD card and
> runs a script which copies the rootfs.tar.bz2 to the flash memory.
> So how can I deploy a copy of the whole rootfs to ${D}/home/root?
> A rootfs in the rootfs, does that make sense?

I don't think it is good if both rootfs are based on the same image.

> Any help is appreciated.

My first idea will be to create an install image for sd card depending on your image rootfs tarball.

$ cat installer-image.bb
do_rootfs[depends] += "original-image"

ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND = my-copy-image-to-installer-rootfs

my-copy-image-to-installer-rootfs() {
  cp ??.tar.bz2 ${D}/home/root
}

But maybe it is not the best solution.

You can look at meta/classes/image-live.bbclass which provides a similar mechanism.