[yocto] esdk without using Poky?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Oct 31 05:19:18 PDT 2016

I'm trying to build an extensible SDK (eSDK) for my target and running into
a few problems.

   gthomas at zeus:~$ /work/tmp/mlb-glibc-x86_64-arm-toolchain-ext-2.2+snapshot.sh
   MLB @SDK_TITLE@ Associates Embedded (Poky/Yocto Powered) Extensible SDK installer version 2.2+snapshot
   ======================================================================================================
   Enter target directory for SDK (default: ~/mlb_sdk):
   You are about to install the SDK to "/home/gthomas/mlb_sdk". Proceed[Y/n]? y
   Extracting SDK.........................................done
   Setting it up...
   Extracting buildtools...
   Preparing build system...
   Error: 'meta-poky/conf' must be a directory containing local.conf & bblayers.conf

The first thing I notice is the banner which should read:
   MLB & Associates Embedded (Poky/Yocto Powered) Extensible SDK installer version 2.2+snapshot

The second is that I use my own distribution (not poky).  How can I
build an eSDK using my distribution?

Once I ran into this error, I tried rebuilding using the [old] SDK.
I noticed that it seemed to rebuild [most] everything all over again.
Is there no shared state / reusable components between the eSDK and SDK?

Finally, since I had to install SDK and not eSDK, I'm missing some tools
I was hoping to have.  I want to build PRU programs for the BeagleBoneBlack
and I'm using meta-ti to import those tools and programs.  I was expecting
the PRU tools which come from ti-cgt-pru-native to be included with my
eSDK/SDK, but they don't seem to be, at least not in the SDK.  How can I
get these tools available so I can use the SDK to develop PRU code for the BBB?

Thanks