[yocto] Is There a Package Limit to use of Smart / RPM?

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Mon May 30 00:17:46 PDT 2016

We've seen similar effects with IPK packages and opkg, but the problem then
isn't so much the package manager, but it's just that some packages don't
upgrade properly when bunched together with some others. For example, two
packages A and B which individually upgrade just fine, but if you try to
upgrade them both, something in their pre/post-install/remove actions messes
things up and causes one or both of them to fail.

Also, things like upgrading network components while using ssh to start the
upgrade, or upgrading parts of the package manager can also cause strange
upgrade problems.

I doubt there's some magic "maximum number of packages" in any package manager.

On 28-05-16 21:16, Darcy Watkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my project, we have exceeded 700 packages and have run into numerous issues
> using smart with rpm handling large transactions on the target (e.g. update
> from a non-PR service build to a PR-service build resulting in all RPMs being
> updated, though most are just version/release 'bumped' by the PR service).
>
> Before I dig too deep, I figured I would see if anyone recognizes this
> signature as a known issue.
>
> 1.  Are there any hard coded limits to number of packages that can be handled
> in a smart/rpm transaction?  (Particularly around 700)?
>
> 2.  Are there known issues related to when 'smart' updates itself and/or 'rpm'?
>
> Daisy branch
>
> Layerscape (ARM) architecture
>
> Kernel 3.19 (yocto-linux + BSP patches)
>
> Installing on ext3 rootfs
>
> Building on CentOS7
>
> All appeared to work fine until recently when a bunch of added kernel modules
> and other firmware packages were added, which makes me wonder about a magic
> limit of 700.
>
> Thanks in advance for your insights.
>

> Regards,
>
> Darcy
>
> Darcy Watkins :: Staff Engineer, Firmware
>
> SIERRA WIRELESS
> Direct +1 604 233 7989 :: Fax +1 604 231 1109 :: Main +1 604 231 1100
> 13811 Wireless Way :: Richmond, BC Canada V6V 3A4
> [M1]
> dwatkins at sierrawireless.com :: www.sierrawireless.com ::
> www.inmotiontechnology.com

Kind regards,