[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi][Question] How to build an hwup image for raspberrypi3

piotr.lewicki piotr.lewicki at elfin.de
Thu May 19 05:15:22 PDT 2016

Hello,
I'm trying to build a Yocto image for raspberrypi3.
I'm using only two layers:
- poky (krogoth: rev eff84a76acea1a0842194106a66684511f409842)
- meta-raspberrypi (master: rev 9912d38e97671704822d1aa05312a0439cb650d3)

I have built it by cloning both layers from git (and changing poky
branch), then I sourced poky (source poky/oe-init-build-env), added
meta-raspberrypi layer in conf/bblayers.conf and in conf/local.conf
changed MACHINE to raspberrypi3.

Then I have built "rpi-hwup-image" using bitbake and dd'd it to an SD card.

Unfortunately rpi-hwup-image does not work on raspberry pi 3.
Boot screen halts when 4 raspberry logos show up and that's it.

On the other hand I have tried the same SD card with raspberry pi 2 and
it booted up (!?).

Can you tell me if there is still support for meta-raspberrypi layer?
I found that this layer does not follow Yocto project naming convention
for branches (I think that the latest is "jethro", but nothing newer
besides "master").
Does this mean that there is no stable and up-to-date branch apart from
master?

Has anybody built a raspberrypi3 image?
Could you tell me which layers and which branches should I use?

Thanks,
Piotr Lewicki