[yocto] Hung build when doing Kernel Training Lab

Ronald Oakes ronaldo at brc2.com
Thu Mar 24 07:16:41 PDT 2016

I've been working through the Kernel Training labs from
https://www.yoctoproject.org/sites/default/files/kernel-lab-1.6.pdf.
Everything is working as expected up - using Poky 1.6.03 - until I get
to Lab 4.

In lab 4, the kernel source is coming from a local clone of the git
repository: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linuxstable.git.
But, when I try to run bitbake using the recipe as included in the lab
download (https://www.yoctoproject.org/sites/default/files/kernel-lab-1.6-layers.tar.bz2)
it appears to hang when doing the "do_compile_kernelmodules" step for
the kernel build.  {I'm not where I can view the machine running, so I
cannot copy or quote the exact item that the step is running on.}

This is an important lab for me to complete, since my expected project
will need to have all of its builds done on a network-isolated server
with all of the source code brought in on read-only media. (I was
planning on asking how to do that, before I found this lab exercise -
and I may circle back to that question later).

I'll note that my build system is a low-powered (ASUS VM42 with a
Celeron 2957U 2-core processor), and is (at least currently) running
Centos 7.x

Thank You
  Ron Oakes