[yocto] Controlling Bitbake Memory usage under Windows/Virtualbox/Ubuntu platform

Mark Brown mkbrown32 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:01:22 PST 2016

Again, how is the Bitbake module terminated and then re-run,
picking up its place in the sequence of tasks where it left off ?

Subject: Re: [yocto] Controlling Bitbake Memory usage under Windows/Virtualbox/Ubuntu platform
From: opensource at keylevel.com
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 22:38:41 +0000
CC: yocto at yoctoproject.org
To: mkbrown32 at hotmail.com

On 6 Mar 2016, at 22:08, Mark Brown <mkbrown32 at hotmail.com> wrote:
I do not see anything in the Bitbake manual for controlling how much memory
Bitbake should consider itself entitled to consume in the
development platform within which it runs.

Running it on //Windows 7 64//i7-2620M//Virtualbox//Ubuntu 14 32-bit//,
I told Virtualbox to allow Ubuntu to use 1.5 GBytes, but Windows Task Manager
indicates the whole Virtualbox/Ubuntu thread is using only 160 MBytes
-- and is generating approximately 1,000 page faults per second.

What memory usage does the Ubuntu VM report?
 Perhaps as a result, this Gumstix Overo build has completed only 760 out of 3792
total tasks in 21 hours -- at this rate it will complete in 5-6 days.

Not used a VM to build in ages, but I used to build an image from scratch in about 10 hours running on a dual core Macbook Pro. The same build takes about 1 hour on an 8 thread i7 with 16GB RAM and SSDs for the build work area, peaking at about 10GB RAM usage with local.conf set to use 16 threads and 16 parallel makes (BB_NUMBER_THREADS and PARALLEL_MAKE both at 16) - later Yocto versions set these for you based on the number of cores available to the build host.
Another thing to consider - if this is the first build, then you’ll be downloading a load of stuff from the internet. How fast is your connection? Subsequent builds will be much quicker as the files required will then be stored locally.
 How does the user terminate Bitbake at its current stage, increase the memory it is using,
and then restart in order to speed up this process ?

Chris Tappopensource at keylevel.comwww.keylevel.com
----You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!