[yocto] Controlling Bitbake Memory usage under Windows/Virtualbox/Ubuntu platform

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Sun Mar 6 14:38:41 PST 2016

On 6 Mar 2016, at 22:08, Mark Brown <mkbrown32 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I do not see anything in the Bitbake manual for controlling how much memory
> Bitbake should consider itself entitled to consume in the
> development platform within which it runs.
>
> Running it on //Windows 7 64//i7-2620M//Virtualbox//Ubuntu 14 32-bit//,
> I told Virtualbox to allow Ubuntu to use 1.5 GBytes, but Windows Task Manager
> indicates the whole Virtualbox/Ubuntu thread is using only 160 MBytes
> -- and is generating approximately 1,000 page faults per second.

What memory usage does the Ubuntu VM report?

>  Perhaps as a result, this Gumstix Overo build has completed only 760 out of 3792
> total tasks in 21 hours -- at this rate it will complete in 5-6 days.

Not used a VM to build in ages, but I used to build an image from scratch in about 10 hours running on a dual core Macbook Pro. The same build takes about 1 hour on an 8 thread i7 with 16GB RAM and SSDs for the build work area, peaking at about 10GB RAM usage with local.conf set to use 16 threads and 16 parallel makes (BB_NUMBER_THREADS and PARALLEL_MAKE both at 16) - later Yocto versions set these for you based on the number of cores available to the build host.

Another thing to consider - if this is the first build, then you’ll be downloading a load of stuff from the internet. How fast is your connection? Subsequent builds will be much quicker as the files required will then be stored locally.