[yocto] Yocto git server via http and mirror tarballs

Woronicz, Bartosz (Nokia - PL/Wroclaw) bartosz.woronicz at nokia.com
Wed Jun 15 04:22:55 PDT 2016

I set in .gitconfig to always use https:// (don't forget 'git' at the end of path) instead git:// for yoctoproject url

[url "https://git.yoctoproject.org/git/"]
        insteadOf = git://git.yoctoproject.org/

Kind regards,
Bartosz Woronicz
Engineer, Software Configuration (SCM)
Nokia Networks - PL/Wroclaw

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org [mailto:yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org] On Behalf Of Pascal Bach
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:51 PM
To: yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: [yocto] Yocto git server via http and mirror tarballs

Hi

Because of firewall restrictions I'm not always not able to access the git.yoctoproject.org via the git protocol but I'm required to use http.

By default most of the recipes in Poky recipes use the git protocol not the http protocol. For example yocto-kernel-tools points to repositories "git://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-kernel-tools" instead of "http://git.yoctoproject.org/git/yocto-kernel-tools".

To work around this issue I added a mirror rules for rewriting the protocol like this:

MIRRORS += "\
    git://git.yoctoproject.org/.*                               git://git.yoctoproject.org/git/PATH;protocol=http \n \
    "

This seems to work and I'm able to fetch the sources even when git access is not possible.

But when I then enable BB_GENERATE_MIRROR_TARBALLS = "1" I'm starting to get different tarball names depending on what protocol was used.
For example "git2_git.yoctoproject.org.yocto-kernel-tools.git.tar.gz" vs "git2_git.yoctoproject.org.git.yocto-kernel-tools.git.tar.gz".

I assume this happens because the first tarball was create while git access was possible, while the second one was created when only http was possible:
git.yoctoproject.org/git => git.yoctoproject.org.git
git.yoctoproject.org     => git.yoctoproject.org

Is there any way to prevent the tarballs from having different names? For example derive the name always from the original URL not the mirror one?

Or is there a better way to achieve what we are doing with MIRROR?

Thanks for your help.

Pascal