[yocto] do_patch through Yocto fails while "git am" succeed

Michael Hu pxmyhdev at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:12:59 PDT 2016

Does anyone know what's the difference between using Yocto to apply patches
and apply patch directly using git command?

I am trying to apply patches for arm-trusted-firmware through yocto by
extending arm-trusted-firmware.bb file, in .bbappend file, I have:

SRC_URI = "file://<some patch name>"

I got the following error:
ERROR: arm-trusted-firmware-1.2 do_patch: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc
/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/etc/quiltrc push' exited with 1  Output:
Applying patch 0002-csu_dma-Added-support-to-load-PL-bitstream.patch
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
... some files can be patched
patching file <failed file>
Hunk #1 FAILED at 41.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- rejects in file <failed file>
Patch 0002-csu_dma-Added-support-to-load-PL-bitstream.patch does not apply
(enforce with -f)

However, if using "git am <patch>" under cloned arm-trusted-firmware git
repo, the patches are successfully patched.

What could be the difference?

Thanks!