[yocto] Docker and Yocto

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Sun Jul 17 19:51:45 PDT 2016

On 2016-07-15 4:10 PM, Daniel. wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thanks for answering me. What is your use case? I've been reading
> about Docker and seems to do some nice magic. I was wondering if would
> be possible and productive to deploy embedded applications using
> Docker... Also the Docker swarm seems really cool stuff, are you using
> this too?

For me, there's no single use case. But yes, you could use it as
a deployment engine on an embedded platform. But the same can be
said about lxc, or systemd-nspawn, etc.

For most embedded systems, there is quite a bit of overhead, layering
and general magic if you use the docker engine as-is. Hence why lxc
or other container management may be a better fit.

Docker excels at ease of use, container repositories/registries, etc.

With the latest version bump that I did in meta-virt, we are now into
open container support via runc and containerd, which docker uses. But
for me, I'm more interested in using runc directly for lower overhead
containers, but with a runtime capable of executing docker containers
if required.

Whatever orchestration you use is the last piece of the puzzle, and
there are many to chose from .. and what you chose (if any), really
does depend on the problem you are trying to solve.

We are hacking on a containerized runtime based on oe-core, and other
layers from the ecosystem. It is lxc based right now, but I'm about
to throw the switch to runc/OCI as a replacement .. which is where
you can see I was headed with my description above :)

Bruce

p.s. the playground is: https://github.com/OverC/meta-overc