[yocto] [meta-raspberrypi] PL2303 instability on RPi 3 but not on RPi 2

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Fri Jul 8 06:42:09 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:24:08PM +0200, Martin Bergek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am testing an image on a system including a PL2303 (USB to serial bridge) and have noticed an issue on the Raspberry Pi 3. The system will run fine for an hour or two but then the kernel logs the following error:
>
> 	pl2303 ttyUSB0: usb_serial_generic_read_bulk_callback - urb stopped: -32
>
> After this there is no more data coming from the USB device and I have to either reboot or disconnect/connect the USB device - neither of which is acceptable in my application.
>
> This is on kernel 4.4.9 and it happens only on the Raspberry Pi 3. On Raspberry Pi 2 the exact same firmware runs flawlessly.
>
> Has anyone else come across this or have some suggestions on how to solve it? Or how to pinpoint the cause?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin Bergek

I'm usign exactly the same chipset and never saw this problem before.
There might be something related to
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/553 which you can test
with a core_freq=250

As well it might be connected to the USB power supply if you use the 5V pin
from PL2303 to power up your board. I do and I experience no issue but
it might be something there.

--
Andrei Gherzan