[yocto] customizing system configuration files in my image

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jul 6 20:41:08 PDT 2016

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 09:55:38 Zhenhua Luo wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 09:11:47 Ottavio Campana wrote:
> > I would like to customize an image I am developing based on core image
> > minimal.
> >
> > Particularly, I'd like to customize the files /etc/network/interfaces and
> > /etc/inittab .
>
> Usually I do it by adding bbappend of corresponding packages to override
> original files, the interfaces is provided by init-ifupdown, the inittab is
> provided by sysvinit-inittab.
>
> An example:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-ppc/tree/recipes-core/in
> it-ifupdown

FYI there is a shortcut to creating these - the "recipetool appendfile"
command. For example, say you have your desired custom inittab file locally as
"myinittab" and you want the bbappend to be created in meta-mylayer then you
would run:

recipetool appendfile meta-mylayer /etc/inittab myinittab

This will automatically determine which recipe is providing the file and how
to overwrite it with your version. You do need to have built that recipe for
this to work, but then that will already be the case if you have built the
image beforehand.

Cheers,
Paul

--