[yocto] Layer manifest (topic touched at ELCE)

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Jan 6 14:42:51 PST 2016

On 1/6/16 2:41 PM, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> We started a discussion at the last ELCE: layer manifest in a machine parsable
> format. I'll make a short summary on what is this about.
>
> In the current yocto layers structures, the only way to describe a layer is
> through README. Which provides useful information like layer dependencies,
> available targets, maybe available machines etc. First of all this information
> is not standardized in any way and not machine parsable. So is not an uncommon
> situation to get a BSP yocto layer and have no idea what to do without actually
> looking into it. As well, there is no way of automating, for example, cloning of
> dependencies or any other kind of automations.
>
> Now the questions is, would it make sense to define a layer manifest where a
> layer would be fully described in a machine parsable way? Does yocto community
> feel the need of such a file and maybe additionally have a script which would be
> able to parse such a manifest and setup a build environment?

>From a dependency perspective, there is a method to define layer dependencies.
If that is used properly it can help.  The problem I see though is the namespace
for layer dependencies is not really defined.

But using a combination of the defined dependencies and the layer index you
should be able to resolve "known" layers.  (Would also be nice if the index
looked for collisions as well...)

--Mark