[yocto] Layer manifest (topic touched at ELCE)

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Wed Jan 6 12:41:33 PST 2016

Hello all,

We started a discussion at the last ELCE: layer manifest in a machine
parsable format. I'll make a short summary on what is this about.

In the current yocto layers structures, the only way to describe a layer is
through README. Which provides useful information like layer dependencies,
available targets, maybe available machines etc. First of all this
information is not standardized in any way and not machine parsable. So is
not an uncommon situation to get a BSP yocto layer and have no idea what to
do without actually looking into it. As well, there is no way of
automating, for example, cloning of dependencies or any other kind of
automations.

Now the questions is, would it make sense to define a layer manifest where
a layer would be fully described in a machine parsable way? Does yocto
community feel the need of such a file and maybe additionally have a script
which would be able to parse such a manifest and setup a build environment?

--
Andrei Gherzan