[yocto] Dropping Debian 7 as supported?

Fred Ollinger Fred.Ollinger at seescan.com
Fri Feb 12 09:14:43 PST 2016

I run debian right now and it works great.

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        8.3
Codename:       jessie

I prefer debian over ubuntu:

1. Simpler footprint so it feels more customizable out of the box. (I know that any linux distro is infinitely customizable, but I like a simple install out of the box. I feel like ubuntu was ramming more and more things down my throat).

2. I strongly believe different platforms, although are more work, also expose more bugs.

3. I started on debian and it's what I'm used to.

4. It makes me feel better.

5. In the past, working on a different distro forced me to be more aware of the details of the build process which ultimately makes me a more valuable member of the team. Having the attitude that things will just work for us, in my opinion, is a bad one for a developer. I'd rather understand things.

(#4 is my primary reason).

I'll be happy to help out with debian support if you need it.

So far, I have zero problems, and it would be nice to not see a scary message telling me to change distros if my distro actually works great.

Frederick