[yocto] ***SPAM*** Re: [meta-raspberrypi] Current master broken

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Tue Dec 6 15:00:34 PST 2016

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 22:21:50 +0100
Herve Jourdain <herve.jourdain at neuf.fr> wrote:

> Sorry, a bit tired...
> I meant we need to track the changes happening to the versions we decide we
> want to support, and update the recipes accordingly.
> My understanding is we're interested in 4.4, 4.8 and 4.9. And I have a
> personal interest in 4.7 for the moment, so I can try to keep the 4.7 recipe
> up to date with the changes.
> If 4.4 is "stable", then we need some people to focus on tracking the
> changes happening on 4.8 and 4.9.
>
> Cheers,
> Herve

I've ran into this myself before.

Upstream effectively support one version, currently 4.4. When upstream
made that the default branch, the changes to the 4.1 branch stopped -
there wasn't really much overlap. Everything post-4.4 is active
development and gets rebased at will. At some point they'll move to the
next LTS release (4.9) and 4.4 will be dropped.

I'd class all recipes for kernel versions other than default branch
upstream as experimental. Perhaps we should just go with AUTOREV here?
Anything else is going to need changing really often.

Thanks,
Paul