[yocto] Git/yocto newbie question re: submodules and multiple layers

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 14:35:14 PDT 2016

> On Aug 25, 2016, at 2:24 PM, Michael Habibi <mikehabibi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I am well-versed with Git but I haven't really ever had to use
> submodules. I am trying to create a git repository on our server that
> will host our yocto distribution. Our distribution will include the
> yocto repo, plus meta-openembedded repo, plus maybe some other layers.
>
> The difficulty I have is thus:
>
> my_git_repo/ <--- what my platform developers will 'git clone'
> my_git_repo/yocto_git/... <-- yocto framework
> my_git_repo/yocto_git/meta-openembedded <-- another git repo nested
> inside yocto repo
> my_git_repo/yocto_git/meta-intel <-- another example layer.
>
> I would like for developers to be able to 'git clone' a single repo,
> but pull down all the necessary layers from various git repos.
> Basically it will comprise all repos, including yocto, OE layers,
> intel layers, etc.
>
> I believe the only way I can nest submodules inside pre-existing repos
> is for me to create a local clone of yocto git and add the submodules
> to that clone. That means the master git repo (my_git_repo in example
> above) will point to *our* clone of yocto git and not yocto project's
> git repo. In our local clone of yocto git, I will add a submodule for
> each layer I want to add.
>
> Does that make sense? Is this the right approach or is there a smarter way?

There are several ways to setup your workspace.

1. Use android repo tool you can look at the angstrom distro which is OE/yocto
based (https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest)

2. you can use combo-tool from Yocto project ( which is used by poky distro )
3. you can use git submodules which is used by BEC distro again based on
OE (https://github.com/cbrake/oe-build)

you can also do something else may be use jiri ( https://github.com/vanadium/go.jiri )