[yocto] Git/yocto newbie question re: submodules and multiple layers

Michael Habibi mikehabibi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 14:24:34 PDT 2016

Hi, I am well-versed with Git but I haven't really ever had to use
submodules. I am trying to create a git repository on our server that
will host our yocto distribution. Our distribution will include the
yocto repo, plus meta-openembedded repo, plus maybe some other layers.

The difficulty I have is thus:

my_git_repo/ <--- what my platform developers will 'git clone'
my_git_repo/yocto_git/... <-- yocto framework
my_git_repo/yocto_git/meta-openembedded <-- another git repo nested
inside yocto repo
my_git_repo/yocto_git/meta-intel <-- another example layer.

I would like for developers to be able to 'git clone' a single repo,
but pull down all the necessary layers from various git repos.
Basically it will comprise all repos, including yocto, OE layers,
intel layers, etc.

I believe the only way I can nest submodules inside pre-existing repos
is for me to create a local clone of yocto git and add the submodules
to that clone. That means the master git repo (my_git_repo in example
above) will point to *our* clone of yocto git and not yocto project's
git repo. In our local clone of yocto git, I will add a submodule for
each layer I want to add.

Does that make sense? Is this the right approach or is there a smarter way?