[yocto] Dumping (inferred) do_task[vardeps] for some do_task

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Apr 27 09:19:01 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Ulf Magnusson <ulfalizer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get a feel for how BitBake infers task dependencies. The
> easiest way (but I'm open to suggestions) seems to be to dump the
> value of do_task[vardeps] for a particular recipe after the inferred
> dependencies are added.
>
> What's a good way to dump do_task[vardeps]? I tried using getVarFlag()
> in an anonymous Python function, but it only catches dependencies
> explicitly added to do_task[vardeps]. Maybe [vardeps] is never
> assigned the complete set of dependencies internally, or maybe the
> anonymous Python function is called too early.

That's correct, the full list is not stored in the vardeps.

generate_dependencies() in bitbake/lib/bb/data.py also looked
> promising, but maybe there's a better places further up the callstack.

That is a reasonable place in the code, yes. You can inspect a certain
amount of information in the signature data files, but I'm not sure it
drills down to the level you desire.

My 'bb' tool's 'show' subcommand can show not just a variable but also its
dependencies, perhaps that might be of use? I haven't touched it in ages,
but in theory it should work.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com