[yocto] Error installing wpa-supplicant

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Apr 25 06:21:36 PDT 2016

I tried to add wpa-supplicant to my working/installed system
and got this error:

Removing any system startup links for dbus-1 ...
Running groupadd commands...
NOTE: dbus: Performing groupadd with [ -r netdev]
ERROR: dbus: groupadd command did not succeed.
To remove package debris, try `opkg remove dbus-1`.
To re-attempt the install, try `opkg install dbus-1`.
Collected errors:
  * pkg_run_script: package "dbus-1" preinst script returned status 1.
  * preinst_configure: Aborting installation of dbus-1.
  * opkg_install: Cannot install package wpa-supplicant.

When I tried to rerun it, I got this:

root at teton-p7618:~# opkg remove dbus-1
No packages removed.
root at teton-p7618:~# opkg install dbus-1
Installing dbus-1 (1.10.6-r0.3) on root.
  Removing any system startup links for dbus-1 ...
Running groupadd commands...
NOTE: dbus: Performing groupadd with [ -r netdev]
ERROR: dbus: groupadd command did not succeed.
To remove package debris, try `opkg remove dbus-1`.
To re-attempt the install, try `opkg install dbus-1`.
Collected errors:
  * pkg_get_installed_files: Failed to open ///var/lib/opkg/info/dbus-1.list: No such file or directory.
  * pkg_run_script: package "dbus-1" preinst script returned status 1.
  * preinst_configure: Aborting installation of dbus-1.
  * opkg_install: Cannot install package dbus-1.

What might be the issue here and how to I resolve it?