[yocto] Help Cross Compiling for AVR

Washburn, David (washbudh) washbudh at mail.uc.edu
Tue Apr 5 08:18:35 PDT 2016

Hi All,

I am attempting to get the AVR Toolchain working inside of Yocto, but unfortunately I'm relatively new to Yocto and keep seeing various errors I cannot resolve. I was able to follow the instructions HERE<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html> to get everything working locally, but I'm seeing various issues inside of Yocto. I was able to get binutils configured and installed correctly but I haven't had any luck getting GCC installed. I am able to get pass the configure and compile stages in Yocto, but when I get to the install task, there's always a failure. The failure stems from this task below, which is a part of GCC:

# Add unwind.h, it comes from libgcc which we don't want to build again
install /build-bundle/poky/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/lib/avr/gcc/avr/4.9.3/include/unwind.h
/build-bundle/poky/build/tmp/work/cortexa53-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/gcc-target-avr/4.9.3-r0/image/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.9.3/include/

The reason it fails is because one of the two paths is always incorrect, no matter how I attempt to configure the build. If I configure the TARGET_SYS to be 'avr' during the install task, the path to 'unwind.h' becomes what is shown above, but the unwind header is not there. I *think* it's due to the fact that the TARGET_SYS was set to our default 'arm-poky-linux-gnueabi' during the configure stage. If I try to set the configuration to have a TARGET_SYS of 'avr' it might resolve the issue, but unfortunately doing this causes the compile stage to fail with:
    | Makefile:1571: t-oe: No such file or directory
    | make[1]: *** No rule to make target `t-oe'.  Stop.

I am using a slightly modified version of the recipes shown in the link below.
         https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/yocto/2014-December/022781.html

Lastly, here is a link to the GCC commit that talks about the need to copy over the file that is causing issues for me:
         https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2003-03/msg00367.html

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and I apologize if any of this is unclear, I am still relatively new to Yocto.

Kind Regards,
      David Washburn