[yocto] kernel defconfig configuration

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Oct 26 01:03:08 PDT 2015

Hi Edward,

On Sunday 25 October 2015 12:41:09 Edward Wingate wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Edward Wingate <edwingate8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using fido release and this is my
> > linux-wandboard_3.14.28.bbappend file, just 2 lines:
> > FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
> > SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
> >
> > I'm trying to use my defconfig with the linux-wandboard kernel recipe
> > in meta-fsl-arm-extra layer:
> > https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-arm-extra/blob/master/recipes-kernel
> > /linux/linux-wandboard_3.14.28.bb
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
>
> I also just noticed I don't have any kernel modules in the rootfs.
> The /lib/modules directory doesn't exist while things like
> "CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO=m" are in the default .config.  Am there
> some global kernel module setting I should check?

Kernel modules are packaged separately and typically not included in the image
by default; if you wish to include them you have two choices:

1) Install the kernel-module-<modulename> package(s) individually for the
module(s) you wish to use

2) Install the kernel-modules package to bring in all packages for modules you
enabled in the kernel configuration.

Not sure if you're aware how to install packages in the image, here's the
manual section just in case:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage

Cheers,
Paul