[yocto] binutils failing in FIDO branch

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Nov 9 15:06:34 PST 2015

On Monday 09 November 2015 22:32:59 Martin Townsend wrote:
> My issue is particular to my distro, I tried changing to poky and all was
> well.  The reason for our own distro was to migrate from Arago which we
> were using.  So I copied Arago into a separate distro and then started
> morphing it into something more akin to Poky over time.  Alas I left the
> following line in the distro conf, one which should have removed :(
>
> # Enable basic stack and buffer overflow protections
> TARGET_CPPFLAGS += "-fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1"
>
> After commenting this out binutils for the target builds fine.  I'm
> guesssing that for libiberty CPPFLAGS propogates into configure or makefile
> in the binutils recipe which then fails one of it's config checks and
> because of this fails to set HAVE_LIMITS and a few others no doubt.
>
> Many apologies for leading you on a wild goose chase, I don't know if there
> is anything you can do so others don't fall foul of this.  Is setting
> TARGET_CPPFLAGS or TARGET_CFLAGS for that matter useful in configuration
> files??  If so, maybe making sure they are reverted for building binutils??

I'm assuming you could do something like:

TARGET_CPPFLAGS += "${MY_EXTRAFLAGS}"
MY_EXTRAFLAGS = "-fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1"
MY_EXTRAFLAGS_pn-binutils = ""

FYI we do have meta/conf/distro/include/security_flags.inc to apply these two
flags, but interestingly there's no mention of binutils in there.

> Thanks for all the help and maybe it's time we moved over to Poky :)

Well, there's nothing forcing you to use poky - it's a reference distribution;
the assumption is usually that you'll want to change something at the
distribution level at which point you've effectively created your own distro.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton