[yocto] binutils failing in FIDO branch

Martin Townsend mtownsend1973 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:32:59 PST 2015

Hi,

My issue is particular to my distro, I tried changing to poky and all was
well.  The reason for our own distro was to migrate from Arago which we
were using.  So I copied Arago into a separate distro and then started
morphing it into something more akin to Poky over time.  Alas I left the
following line in the distro conf, one which should have removed :(

# Enable basic stack and buffer overflow protections
TARGET_CPPFLAGS += "-fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1"

After commenting this out binutils for the target builds fine.  I'm
guesssing that for libiberty CPPFLAGS propogates into configure or makefile
in the binutils recipe which then fails one of it's config checks and
because of this fails to set HAVE_LIMITS and a few others no doubt.

Many apologies for leading you on a wild goose chase, I don't know if there
is anything you can do so others don't fall foul of this.  Is setting
TARGET_CPPFLAGS or TARGET_CFLAGS for that matter useful in configuration
files??  If so, maybe making sure they are reverted for building binutils??

Thanks for all the help and maybe it's time we moved over to Poky :)

Cheers,
Martin.