[yocto] yocto on zynq, How to configure kernel to include drivers

Nathan Rossi nathan at nathanrossi.com
Wed Nov 4 07:08:50 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM, Toby Gomersall
<toby.gomersall at smartacoustics.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've tried building the linux-xlnx tree standalone and we have the DMA
> drivers available to add in menuconfig but not when I build
> core-image-minimal. I thought the full build would pick up the
> linux-xlnx kernel and make the same options available. Is there
> something I need to do to make them available?

By default the linux-xlnx configs within meta-xilinx are close as
possible to mainline configuration. In this case the only Xilinx DMA
driver enabled by default is the VDMA driver as it is available both
in linux-xlnx and in mainline/linux-yocto. It has been done this way
to ensure users understanding that they are using a driver that may
disappear in future linux-xlnx versions or be changed for upstream
submission.

To configure these linux-xlnx only drivers, you can use the "-c
menuconfig" and have your changes made temporarily (The drivers are
under 'Device Drivers / DMA Engine support / Xilinx DMA Engines').

Or you can use the config fragment available in meta-xilinx by setting
KERNEL_FEATURES up with the fragment (the fragment enables a few of
linux-xlnx only drivers). Adding the following line to your machine's,
distro's your local .conf depending on your requirements:

KERNEL_FEATURES += "bsp/xilinx/xilinx-drivers-linux-xlnx.scc"

Just on a side note, there was a bug in the .scc file, I have just
fixed it in master (and fido). So you will need to pull to use this or
it will give you an error.

Regards,
Nathan