[yocto] should layers define BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Nov 2 09:54:33 PST 2015

  perusing the meta-musl layer, and noticed in layer.conf the line:

BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"

i thought this was a bit odd since (at least to me) it seems like the
sort of thing a *developer* might set in their local.conf to
temporarily deal with a dangling .bbappend file -- it never occurred
to me that it would be appropriate for a layer to define that value
itself as an inherent part of its own ... layerness.

  a quick grep of the couple dozen layers i have checked out revealed
two layers that do that:

./meta-musl/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY ?= "1"
./meta-yocto-kernel-extras/meta-kernel-dev/conf/layer.conf:BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY
?= "true"

  i'm curious what others think of this approach.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca