[yocto] getting started...

Ed Sutter ed.sutter at alcatel-lucent.com
Wed May 27 13:32:50 PDT 2015

Hi,
I'm new to Yocto.  I've used it to build/install linux on the Wandboard,
and I've installed
host-based cross devlopement environment (bitbake -c populate_sdk ).
Everything worked, but
basically I just followed some "getting started" steps so, I still don't
really have a clue...

Last year I finished up a custom iMX6-based project using buildroot for
rootfs, ftp.denx.de
for uboot and freescale git for the kernel.

These two projects are totally isolated; yet I'm sure >85% of the code
base is identical.

This year I have two ongoing iMX6 based linux projects, and may need to
use a beaglebone
or RPi for some other small project.

The point of the above detail is that I'd like to backup a bit and
attempt to use Yocto to
organize all four of these with one instance of Yocto/Poky.  Is that
practical?  Seems
to me that is the ideal goal of Yocto, but I don't see many BSPs listed
under the project
downloads page.  On the other hand, I know wandboard and sabresd and
many others do have
yocto build environments.

What's the scoop on that?

I'd really like to manage all of these projects under one umbrella if
possible; but what
if different projects use different versions of poky (for example)?

Thanks in advance for any info...
Ed