[yocto] Using smart within an SDK

Ash Charles ashcharles at gmail.com
Tue May 26 15:38:40 PDT 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Randy Witt
<randy.e.witt at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Did you source the environment-setup script? If so, what distro were you
> using?
Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid-Vervet).  I used an SDK created based on the
gumstix-console-image rather than a mainstream image from meta-yocto
so perhaps there is a particular configuration etc. that messes up the
creation of the SDK?
<snip>
> We were thinking it wouldn't be so granular Basically it would end up
> matching everything in a manifest rather than asking for one particular
> package. So it would look more like "devtool publish-sdk location", followed
> by users being able to then update to whatever "sdk's" exist at that
> location.
Okay---If I understand correctly, that's a little more limiting than I
would like.  No matter how many different SDKs I provide, each
customer will need a different set of a software packages in their
sysroot.  Yocto makes it easy to build up a big sstate or package
repository and post this online---users can just grab a baseline SDK
and then pull in the pieces they need (which probably is pretty
comfortable for folks who are used to a 'sudo apt-get install
libboost-dev' etc.).

Based on this, should I be turning my attention back to using smart
install with a regular SDK environment or is this imagined workflow
just not a reasonable objective?

Thanks,
--Ash