[yocto] Altera Cyclone V DTB origin

Smith, Virgil Virgil.Smith at flir.com
Mon May 18 07:56:14 PDT 2015

Perhaps someone could improve on this, but
you can build a dtb from a source dts using a bbappend for your linux kernel.
1. drop a copy of your new dts in ${S}/arch/arm/boot/dts
2. add the name of your dtb to the KERNEL_DEVICETREE variable.

If you are modifying an existing dts file, the cleanest approach is probably to use a patch file for step 1.  However, you could also create a completely new file.  That you could add either as a patch or by a direct file copy with something like

SRC_URI += "my-device-tree.dts"
KERNEL_DEVICETREE += "my-device-tree.dtb"
do_patch_append() {
  cp ${WORKDIR}/my-device-tree.dts ${S}/arch/arm/boot/dts/
}

Using do_configure_append (or even possibly do_unpack_append) might be more appropriate and would let you easily patch your own file in another layer, but I have not personally tried that.

However, if changing the name of the dtb (i.e. adding your own), you may need to tweak your bootloader (U-boot?) to pass the right dtb to the kernel at boot.  I don't know the Altera Cyclone configuration/layers/versions so take that as a very general statement.

Also, check the kernel recipe you are extending KERNEL_DEVICETREE may need to be expressed as KERNEL_DEVICETREE_somemachinenamehere.

Notice to recipient: This email is meant for only the intended recipient of the transmission, and may be a communication privileged by law, subject to export control restrictions or that otherwise contains proprietary information. If you receive this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and then destroy it and do not review, disclose, copy or distribute it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.