[yocto] Question on building out-of-tree modules on the target

Rifenbark, Scott M scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com
Mon May 18 07:42:58 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have a section in the YP Linux Kernel Development Manual that talks about building out-of-tree-modules on the target - http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.9/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#building-out-of-tree-modules-on-the-target.  In this this section is a simple statements saying "Briefly, the kernel-dev package is installed by default on all *.sdk images."  I talked to some people and they noted that this might be an oversimplification.  It was also noted that for lsb and rt sdk images the old kernel-dev is added but for sato-sdk the new kernel-devsrc is added.

The section I have does not even mention a kernel-devsrc.  I am wondering how accurate this section currently is.  I don't know much about this particular area and could use some help from anyone to make this section more technically accurate given the latest YP release.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Rifenbark
Intel Corporation