[yocto] Newb looking for where to start on unsupported hardware?

Christian Ege k4230r6 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:30:09 PDT 2015

Hi,
Am 07.05.2015 7:18 nachm. schrieb "daryl kuchay" <daryl.kuchay at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm about 3 weeks in to light reading in documentation on Yocto. I found
the project when searching for Open Embedded.

> My challenge is that I have ancient hardware. A Geode based tablet with
serial touchscreen and other niche items that will require me to build a
custom kernel for proper support. Also worthy of mention is that syslinux
is no longer supporting the hardware. Its not too far from an olpc but its
more proprietary. Made by DT Research. WebDT366 GX1 is the model.

Okay, as far as I remember geode is x86 architecture. So at-least
architecture is supported.

> While documentation does provide a great deal of information on what to
do once you get to the stage of building I am just not sure where to start.
I downloaded the build appliance but it only seems to build stock images
that allow for some scripted modification.

You have to create a new BSP layer for your board. Here is some
documentation

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/bsp-guide/bsp-guide.html

> Without a great deal of knowledge on bitbake or what would be needed in
the form of scripts I am not sure that this is the right path to take.

> Whats lacking in the documentation is an if/then scenario. Like if you
need to build a custom kernel start "here", then move to "here" and so on.

There is also a document on kernel development.
https://www.yoctoproject.org/training/kernel-lab

I learned a much from studying existing BSP layers. My source was the
raspberry pi layer.

> While I can find old mentions of OE-Classic build recipes for Geode I
cant seem to find out weather or not these are supported by Yocto.  The
docs seem to assume a level of knowledge that I do not have on open
embedded or a work flow within. Laying down that many bsp commands with no
knowledge of how to use is daunting.

Start with a known board and learn how to build the image and flash it and
boot. Or use a qemu machine as target to play with.

> Can someone help a newb out with where to start if one needed to config a
kernel, add a lot of software from inputattach to evdev, acpid,
xinput-calibrator and others? And how to move to the next step? My hope is
to make a .img that can be dd'd to the target with full hardware support.

Here as-well the RPI is a good source of information

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-raspberrypi/tree/classes/sdcard_image-rpi.bbclass?h=fido

> Thank you in advance
> Daryl

Regards,