[yocto] creating images which include actively developed applications

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue May 5 19:02:43 PDT 2015

> On May 5, 2015, at 6:35 PM, michael_e_brown at dell.com wrote:
>
> Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
>
> We use the google android “repo” tool plus ‘externalsrc’ to great effect. 3 generations now, across now 6-ish different products and dozens of releases at this point. It checks out poky, our layer, our source mirror, and our internal sources all at once.

well, I have similar setup with repo hooks to generate an auto.conf with needed info about externalsrc components from repo groups and it works well however it really depends upon how much software you build on top if its a thick middleware + apps then
we loose the sstate reuse and if you have components which are needing to be dependency for something like qtwebkit then
its going to be even further degraded build performance for developers. Most of the times the dependencies are not changing APIs and interfaces but rebuild still happens since the component has changed we have no way to determine if the components APIs changed or not. It would be nice if build system could have such a tool to register certain APIs which could be added to rebuild decision checksum to make it more fine grained.