[yocto] Embedded Linux Package Management

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 01:51:18 PDT 2015

On 20/03/2015 09:34, Prasant J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for package management for my embedded linux systems
> (yocto on armv7 iMX6Q)
>

> I'm looking for the following features:
>
> (a) Install & remove a package
> (b) Install packages and its dependencies
> (c) Install a package with conflicts, such that the conflicting
> package is force removed
> (d) A local location with packages should serve as a package source
> (e) Remote server package (http file server based)
> (f) List of my packages installed
> (g) List of my packages not installed but available on the http file server
> (h) List of my packages that have updates (new version)
> (i) To be able to manage packages for multiple architectures (eg. rpm
> can produce packages for multiple architectures using one spec file)
>

> The above features will be invoked by the application GUI.
> Any suggestions: which package management solution would answer all
> the above use cases?

(e) I use smart + RPM. I have a remote package server setup via this in
local.conf

FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI = "http://packages.foo.bar"

Then I'm rsyncing the files up to the server after a bitbake package-index.

Then smart update / search / install

That seems to work well in my testing.

Regards,

Alex